Sunday, August 3, 2008

Intern #4 grieves leaving + tips for independent mag. internships

I can’t believe this summer has flown by so quickly. By the middle of next week I’ll be back in the states. I’ll be adjusting to Eastern Standard Time, catching up with my family and friends, and preparing for my last year of college. But though it will be nice to get back into the American groove of things, leaving London won’t be easy.

I’ve had such an amazing experience here, I’ve seriously considered staying longer. Unfortunately, if I take off a year of school I’ll miss out on scholarship money and risk loosing credits, so I guess this is it for now. Besides, I can always return after I finish school and gain more experience in the states, which is what I hope to be able to do. Luckily, I was able to make great connections at this magazine, and can hopefully use the contacts when I’m ready to join the paid work force!

As Intern #3 got to see during her visit, interning at an “indie” mag can be quite different from a large, corporate internship, but just as rewarding; in some ways, even more advantageous than interning at a big-name publication.

Although I worked mostly in editorial here, I was able to gain experience in photo, advertising, and a bit in fashion. With such a small staff, they often needed my help, so I would assist directors in other departments, and learn how that facet of the magazine operates. So if I decide to do my next internship outside editorial, I’ll be able to say that I’ve had work experience in one of those areas.

If you’re someone with only college media experience, or only a very small magazine internship, an internship at an independent publication is probably more attainable, and will help build your resume if you want to impress big publishers like Hearst, Conde Nast, Time, or Meredith. I went after this internship when I didn’t make the cut for a corporate internship in NYC. But with the experience I’ve gained over the summer, I’ll have a better chance of being chosen if I try again.

The thing is, a lot of independent magazines don’t advertise that they need interns. (Especially overseas, because most of them aren’t familiar with Ed2010). I wouldn’t be here had I not researched the magazine and my editor’s contact info, e-mailed him, and persistently followed up. If you know of a magazine that you might want to intern for, do the research and take the initiative, you might be as surprised with the results.

Well, I’ll be in flight all day Thursday, so I’ll make my final post next Sunday. I took intern #1’s advice and I’m meeting my editor for a thank you/tips-in-the-biz luncheon on Monday. So I’ll let you know how it goes, and probably gush on about how I’ll be missing London by then...

Yours truly,
--Ed’s Intern #4

No comments: