Monday, August 11, 2008

Leaving on a high note

I woke up today at noon with no bus to catch to Port Authority, no lunch to pack, and nobody to attend to but myself. And let me tell you, it felt…amazing.

My last day at the magazine was last week. My bosses took me out to a really nice and totally unnecessary lunch at one of NYC’s best Mexican cafes, the fashion editors let the interns raid the beauty closet as a token of their appreciation for all our hard-work, and my editor informed me of possible freelance opportunities that could be mine in the future should I want them. Not a bad way to end an internship, huh?

Even better is news that two of my ideas that I pitched to my editor last week for the magazine’s front-of-the-book section were hits with the big dogs at the mag—they’re going to be featured in the next issue. Plus, I impressed my editor when I caught a grammar mistake on the copy of a feature story that I read over before it went to final final(those things could always use an extra pair of eyes), and I got to write the magazine’s table of contents. I'm hoping those things will leave a lasting impression on the staff...I hear a good recommendation calling my name.

I’ll post one last time on Thursday after my last day at the website. Until then, I’ll be living up my I’m-almost-(hopefully)-never-going-to-be-an-intern-again status by sleeping in, sitting out in the sun, and drooling over Michael Phelps in that sexy USA bathing cap.

--Ed’s Intern #1

No comments: