Wednesday, July 23, 2008

#3 is also headed across the pond...

In college I fell victim to one of the worst stereotypes: good girl gone (slightly) bad. I had spent my high school years obsessing over getting into college. Every waking minute of my life was about studying and building up my extra-curriculars. So, after years of choosing Arthur Miller over Miller Lite, I let loose when I came to college. I spent my days going to class and my nights barhopping, an activity that was fun for a while but got old fast. It just wasn't who I was; I was and always will be an overachiever by nature. That is why, one sunny day my junior year, I decided to grow up and focus on my future. I knew I wanted to go into journalism, so I joined the staff of my school paper as one of the editors.

The paper, to be honest, wasn't run that smoothly, requiring several sleepless nights spent in the office per week. Because we were always together, many of the staff members became very close. We were like a family; a ferociously ambitious family. One of the girls on staff and I became really good friends as we searched tirelessly for the perfect summer internships, each of us applying to countless mags and harassing a plethora of editors. Eventually we both landed fab internships: mine, a regional magazine in Atlanta, and hers, a culture mag in London.

Yes, I'm talking about Ed's Intern #4. We both applied to be Ed bloggers because, well, it was our nature to do so, and, surprisingly, we both got picked. Ed staffers didn't even know that we knew each other until a couple of weeks ago.

This Friday I'm headed off to London for a week to visit #4. Her editor is cool enough to let me hang out around the office for a couple of days. It'll be really interesting to witness the behind-the-scenes of a funky and eclectic mag after spending a summer working at a very traditional one. Also, I'm hoping to utilize this visit as a networking opportunity. When I'm not spending my time in London staking out Amy Winehouse's (crack)house or vintage shopping, I'm going to try to land a post-grad fashion internship at #4's mag.

So, dear Edsters, expect numerous posts stock full of English slang! Ahh, I'm so excited!

Globetrottingly yours,

Ed's Intern #3

No comments: