Thursday, July 24, 2008

How it all happened

Monday was it. The issue of the magazine that we’ve been working on since early May (when I arrived) went to print. See, I picked this internship well, because it was in London; but also because it’s a bi-monthly culture mag with a small staff. So, for the entire summer I’ve been closely assisting the Editor through the entire process of putting an independent magazine together.

I’ve been exposed, albeit in a small way, to almost every step of the process; everything from listening in on discussions about who to feature on the cover, to the final stages of copy editing.
And, as it goes with nearly all internships, the experience has had its highs and lows. There have been times when I felt like an editor (calling up music agents to schedule photo shoots and interviews) and other times when I felt like even less than an intern (running across town to deliver post).

So, maybe you’re all wondering how I even got this chance. I don’t think I’ve shared it with you. Well… no, my father isn’t the editor-in-chief’s lawyer, or doctor, or old fraternity brother. And, while I love, love, love Whisper Jobs, the opening wasn’t even listed there.

A friend of mine bought the magazine and let me borrow it on the plane ride back from a student journalism convention in New York (ehherm, Intern #3). I absolutely loved the features, the photos and the fashion. I held onto the magazine for a while. When I got a courtesy letter from the New York internship I wanted, saying I wasn’t chosen for the internship, I had no idea what I would do with my summer. A copy of the magazine was lying on the floor. I thought, “Hmm, I bet it would be cool to work there.” So, I wrote up a letter about how I loved the magazine and sent it to the Editor, along with my resume. And, about a week later, there was a response in my inbox. Of course, I had to make arrangements to move to London, and track down back issues of the magazine and read, and re-read all of them so my editor had no doubts once I arrived. But, that’s how it all happened. And, it’s been great.

Since I’ll still be in London for a while, I’m sticking around for the next two weeks to do what I can for the next issue. Mostly, sifting through album releases and contacting more press people in the music industry. (Oh, and since I’m leaving soon, my editor suggested that I meet the candidates to replace me and tell him what I think—that means I’ve done a good job, right?)

I also have some visitors to entertain, and finally do all the touristy stuff I’ve been holding out on with. Though, I think you’re all quite familiar with one of them, my dear pal, Intern #3.
Here’s to an exciting week ahead…

--Ed’s Intern #4

No comments: