Saturday, July 12, 2008

Cover girl

A couple of weeks ago, the editorial and art directors of my mag were trying to decide on our August cover within earshot of my intern desk. While completing the day’s tasks I was able to listen in on the process. I was completely amazed at how much time and effort went into selecting every single aspect of the cover, from fonts to wording to color selection.

The two had already selected the cover shot, so that was all under control. The art director (who wears the most fabulous clothes and is just so cool) had already done her magic on the picture, photoshopping it into sheer perfection. So all they were working on was selecting the color and style of each of the fonts, as well as the precise wording and where each blurb should be placed. I witnessed them go through blurb after blurb, font after font. Eventually they printed up at least 10 different mock-ups.

When all of the mock-ups were printed out, I walked up to the editorial director and asked if I could take a look. Now, some of you may be nervous to approach the big names at your respective magazines, but I’m freakishly outgoing so I always just go for it. Anyway, he let me take a look. I was surprised to see that each looked extremely similar, with only miniscule differences. I put my two-cents in, even though I knew I had no decision-making power. I told him the one I liked the most and why I liked it.

The cover options were then presented to our publisher, who then made the ultimate decision. The selected cover ended up being the one I, too, had selected.

That’s what’s so great about finally interning at a magazine. Even though I’ve wanted to work for a magazine for a while, I never really understood what went on behind-the-scenes until I got here. I would never have thought that selecting the font, indentation and color of the blurb on the bottom left side would take so much effort.

--Ed’s Intern #3

No comments: