Monday, July 28, 2008

Goodbye summer...almost

Is it just me, or has the summer just flown by? I’m having a hard time accepting the fact that it’s almost August, and thus, that my internship is almost over. It seems like just yesterday that I was stressing over what to wear, how to act, and what to do for lunch on my very first day. Sigh.

As the end of summer so quickly falls upon us, I’ve been thinking lately on what I’ve learned at my internship, but more importantly how my internship is going to help me land a job once I graduate next May(Yikes!). So, here’s a couple of important things I’m going to do as my internship comes to a close. And edsters, feel free to do the same to make the most out of your last couple of weeks:

1. Make a list of all the things you’ve done/accomplished during your stay. If not to show off to your bosses or friends, use the list for your own benefit. Having everything you’ve done in an organized list will make it easier to write out your resume and talk about your experience on future interviews.
2. It may seem obvious, but be sure to finish up all of the assignments that you may have left somewhat unfinished, whether it be compiling a contact list for your bosses or finishing organizing the shelves in the beauty closet. When I first started back in May, one of my bosses was scrambling to finish an important fact-checking assignment that their intern had left unfinished when she left in the Spring. Bad idea.
3. Take your bosses out to lunch. Or, have them take you out. Either way, it’ll be a good time for you both to sit down and chat about what you got out of the internship, what you wished you’d done more of, and even what your strengths and weaknesses as an intern were. This will really put the whole experience into perspective.
4. Recognize what you liked and didn’t like about your internship and about the mag and department that you interned for. For me, I know now that I’m more into editorial than market editing, fashion or styling. Eliminate the stuff you’re not so interested in, and apply to internships and jobs in the future that are more specific to your interests and skills. You’ll be way happier in the long run.
5. Compile some stuff for future interns, like lists on how-to send packages and do general things around the office, use certain computer programs, etc. Your predecessors will appreciate it, and your bosses will, too since they'll have less explaining to do with their next interns. Plus, it shows you're really serious about the job you did.
6. Keep in touch with your bosses! I’ve already spoken with my editors about keeping in touch after my internship ends. Make sure they have your personal email and cell phone number and that you have theirs(since this business is a huge revolving door, editors are always switching jobs!). That way, it’ll be easy to contact them to chitchat—-or to inquire about any job openings within their company down the line.

Here’s to a fantastic recommendation!
--Ed’s Intern #1

No comments: