Monday, July 7, 2008

A change of heart?

Like many of you edsters out there, I always thought writing for a magazine was my destiny. I’ve had the passion and ambition since I was 12, but it wasn’t until college that I really got a jump start on my career with internships and college-paper experience. I’ve even recently amassed a large collection of mastheads from my favorite mags, tears of feature stories that I think are well-written, and clever heds and deks that I wish I could emulate in my own writing. Basically, I’m a magazine nerd.

And while I’m still convinced that I’m(almost) cut out for and wanting to work in the magazine industry, I’ve developed a strong liking for web editorial too since I’ve been interning at a website. Maybe it’s because I’m given real tasks like pitching and writing, as opposed to filing and photocopying. Maybe it’s because I’m treated like I’m on staff and am giving the same responsibilities as the editors and directors are given. And as opposed to my often having lots of downtime at the mag I’m working for, I’m almost always busy at the website, whether it be writing a quiz, doing some online shopping for the coolest new products, or reading top-notch fashion mags to find inspiration for pitches.

As someone who’s had plenty of internships but only one at a website, I find that the website environment as a whole is way more laid-back. Sure, the site is updated daily, so there are lots of tight deadlines to keep up with, and the pressure to think of new, innovative ideas almost daily can be daunting. But for some reason, the staff, at least at the site I’m working for, is way more down-to-earth and approachable than many magazine editors I’ve encountered, and the environment is a lot more fun and relaxed. Sorry, but it’s the truth.

Take it from me—I mean, I’m definitely no expert, but, fellow interns, I advise you to be open minded with your future career choices. I hope this doesn’t sound preachy or annoying and I apologize if I sound too much like a career counselor, or worse— your mother—but you, like me, could have a change of heart. And while my passion is ultimately in magazines, I realize now I’d be just as thrilled to work in the ever-expanding, always exciting world of the internet.

Anyone of you have similar experiences interning or working for a website? I’d love to hear your stories!

--Ed’s Intern #1

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Having worked at both, I'm inclined to say that web employees mirror the technology they use -- in other words, accessible.

I've found that magazine people like to wall themselves up in cubicles and corner offices, while web people like to have more of a roundtable approach.

An interesting challenge, I think, will be accommodating the "web minded magazine people" of the incoming generation within traditional magazine roles.

People may never guard themselves with their desk phones again. : )

All the best,
The Editorialiste.
http://editorialiste.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Yup, definitely glad I'm going the web route... the editorial interns are always swamped with busywork but the web dept has a much more laidback feel.

Plus web is where all the geeks are at. :)

www.teresawu.wordpress.com

ADooling said...

I swapped print for web and enjoy it. The content moves quicker and there's always the need for more, which makes anything a potential story.