Wednesday, July 9, 2008

An alarm clock's betrayal. Well... not really...

I don’t know about you, but I happen to be one of those people who simply cannot wake up in the morning. I just can’t. My body prefers that I stay up late and sleep in late, rather than fit in a decent eight hours before a busy intern workday.

That is why I require the use of five alarms to wake me up every morning. Yes, you read that right, five. I have one of those fabulous alarm clocks that you can set twice, as well as a cell phone (a.k.a. my one true love) whose alarm can be set up to three times. Each night before I go to sleep I set these two babies to five different times: 8:20, 8:30 and so on and so forth. And each morning, without fail, I turn each of those alarms off and fall back asleep, finally getting up at 9:15 to quickly shower and leave the house by 9:30.

Monday morning I awoke to greet the day after a peaceful slumber. I yawned and stretched, feeling as refreshed as can be. I then glanced up at my clock, only to be completely and utterly horrified. It wasn’t 8 a.m. It wasn’t even 9 a.m. No, it was 10: 27 on the dot.

I was already 27 minutes late for my internship, which is approximately 30 minutes away. That meant that I would arrive at least an hour late.

I was wholly baffled. How ever could this have happened? I had set my five beloved alarms. How could they have betrayed me so?

Well, turns out it was just one of those typical Ditzy Intern #3 incidents. I had set those alarms, all right… on a cell phone whose battery was about to die and on an alarm clock set to PM, rather than AM. Just one of those “Chicken of the Sea” situations that I can now look back on and laugh (while silently crying on the inside).

Luckily for me, I (a) showered the night before and (b) have great experience getting ready quickly. I merely pulled my hair in a bun, quickly got dressed, grabbed my make-up bag and a toothbrush and toothpaste, and ran to my car. I put my make-up on while driving to the office and sped to work. When I got there I went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth and went to my desk. I explained what had happened to my editor and thankfully, all was forgiven (though presumably mocked, as well).

--Ed’s Intern #3

No comments: