Sunday, July 13, 2008

Summertime, and the livin’s (not so) easy

Things at the magazine are going absolutely wonderful. I was told last week that I had done an excellent job on this issue, and the higher-ups decided to list me as an “Editorial Assistant” on the masthead. Although the magazine still couldn’t pay me, the title-only promotion felt like an immense achievement.

Unfortunately, not everything in my life is going so great. I’ve received about 10 text messages from my landlord since Wednesday, reminding me that rent is due next week. And, with each annoying buzz, I’m distracted from enjoying my fancy new title, to focusing on the harsh reality of unpaid work.

I have been working three or four (late) nights a week at the bar, and I’ll be able to pay in full for the month after this weekend, but, I can’t say my summer has been easy-going. Actually, I think I’ve worked harder in the past three months than I ever have in my life. I mean, I’m at the mag five days a week, I work 25 hours a week at the bar, and write in my spare time for Ed and another blog.

I’ve given up luxuries that I used to deem essential: like new clothes, visits to the salon, gourmet coffee, three meals a day. And, unlike most of my friends back in the states who lounge at the beach on the daily, I haven’t seen, smelt, or touched the ocean since April.

Don’t fear readers, I don’t intend to gush out complaining about my fabulous internship, that a lot of people would probably give anything for, and I’m lucky to have; but you should know that behind any tale of success, is another of sacrifice and hard work.

In my case, one of browsing Facebook news feeds, confronted with bronze-faced smiles of friends in bikini’s, and constantly reminding myself that “Awesome Magazine Experience” beats “Carefree Madness at the Beach” in the Rock, Paper, Scissors game of Summer 2008.

I suppose I can't think of a magazine I would want to work for that lists "perfect tan" as a job requirement.


Here’s to a successful summer, wherever you find yourself,
--Ed’s Intern #4

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Congratulations on the Editorial Assistant promotion-of-sorts! I know this is easier said than done, but focus on the positives right now. Your girlfriends may be having fun on the beach, but what are they going to have to add to their resumes after the summer's over? And the experience overseas in general makes you a more interesting, well-rounded person. Plus, if you're going back to school in the fall (not sure if you've graduated or not), you don't have that much longer to stick it out before you'll be able to get home and relax for a bit. Obviously your hard work is being recognized at your internship--just keep that in mind!