Sunday, July 6, 2008

Postcard from the Palace

One fantastic part about interning abroad is that you stumble upon the most amazing things when doing the most mundane of tasks.
Last Friday (which happened to be July 4) my editor sent me on an errand to Victoria. Well, being the Blackberry Navigator and Tom-Tom-dependent gal that I am, I’ll admit, I’m scarcely literate when reading a map.
I took a wrong turn and, before I knew it, found myself amidst a crowd of people in a wide-open plaza.
And to my left: Buckingham Palace.
The gold-drizzled gates stretched across the lawn, lined with smiling tourists. Pressed against the bars, they snapped photos of the famous guards, who rhythmically circulated the entrance in tall caps and red jackets.
The mid-day sun beamed on the majestic Victoria Fountain, and the wings at the top glistened like a beacon; a resting place for sun-bathers, and others tossing coins for good luck.
British flags gently waved in the breeze, and trails of bright red geraniums embellished the perfectly-groomed royal grass; and in the background, against a flawless blue sky, the Eye of London rotated in the distance.
It was the loveliest thing I’ve ever stumbled upon by accident.
I sat on the fountain steps for a minute to absorb and admire the post-card scene around me. It felt so surreal to be sitting there, amongst all the tourists, with an undelivered package in hand.
Unfortunately, I still had to find the address.
So, I mentally waved good-bye to the beautiful palace, and promised to return for a proper visit before the end of my summer adventure.
As I headed down the steps, I saw a shiny penny on the ground. I reached to pick it up, and toss into the water for a wish.
Instead, I left it there.
I’m having a wonderful experience interning abroad, in an amazing city.
I didn’t know what else to ask for.



xx

--Ed’s Intern #4

No comments: