Saturday, July 5, 2008

Settled in and feeling oh-so-very comfy

After nearly two months at my internship, I’ve finally gotten to the point where I’m actually comfortable there. My first few weeks were spent in a constant state of neurosis—-freaking out over the most minute of details, constantly worrying if I was doing a good job or going to get the boot.

It’s just a relief to not obsess over that stuff anymore. Not to say that I’m doing an amazing job or that I don’t make mistakes, because I do. But now that I’ve gotten settled in, I’m not freaking out anymore. I know the routine of the office; I know about meetings, busy times, how to properly answer phones, and e-mail etiquette. I know what I should be working on if I do not receive a specific assignment from my editor. I just feel like I’m finally at that comfortable point where I’m confident and settled in.

Of course, I still am learning. I still need heavy edits on certain pieces. I’m still asking a million and one questions every day about every aspect of the magazine. But I think that’s actually a good thing. I don’t think my interest is annoying anyone; if anything, mag staffers want their interns to be interested in the production process, right?

It’s just really nice to finally be at this place. I’m a confident intern now. Even though this is my first internship and I still have so much left to learn (and I do mean so, so, so, so, so much!), I know that I’m at least doing a decent job.

Now if only I can feel as comfortable driving in Atlanta. I spend far too much time freaking out behind the wheel in this horrendous traffic. If you're in the greater ATL area and you spot a girl screaming while driving, oh, that's just me.

--Ed’s Intern #3

No comments: