Thursday, July 10, 2008

Interns really ARE important...

During my many internships, past and present, I’ve had the opportunity to sit in on a quite a few editorial meetings. But when I say “sit”, that’s literally all I do. I, the measly little intern, sit in awe as the editors pitch feature ideas, plan photo shoots, and discuss upcoming fashion spreads.

But today’s editorial meeting was different. Rather than merely being a passive observer during the meeting, at many of which I feel somewhat lost and out of place, myself and my fellow interns got to contribute to the brainstorming session. In fact, this meeting was more like a focus group designated especially for us, where we got to pitch ideas for an upcoming issue, comment on trends, and give our opinions on an array of different topics.

Of course, there were plenty of editors in the meeting who will ultimately make the final call on what gets included in the magazine and what doesn’t. But just knowing that there was an entire brainstorming session devoted to us interns? Hmm…I guess maybe my opinion really does matter!

So, edsters, know that even if you think that we interns really aren’t important, well, we are. If it wasn’t for us, who’d send out issues, compile credits, fact-check information, and organize files and closets? The truth is, our editors need us just as much as we need them.

Anyone of you guys have an “I felt important” intern story? Share ‘em here!

--Ed’s Intern #1

No comments: