Sunday, July 27, 2008

To have, or have it all?

Like most of you, I’ve always loved magazines. I’ve always known that my dream job would be to work for one.

I remember the first issue of CosmoGIRL, Sarah Michelle was on the cover. “Wow, this person actually met Buffy the vampire slayer, and actually talked to her like they were best friends. It must be so cool to be a journalist,” I thought to my 12- or 13-year-old self. Because from a very young age, I decided that’s what I would do, become a journalist for a magazine that I loved, and eventually be a magazine editor.

Everything I’ve been doing for the past few years has been in the name of chasing my dream career; writer and editor for my college paper, choice of major, reason for spending the summer across the globe from all my family and friends. I’ve discovered that it isn’t so glamorous and tons of work, but I still love doing it.

Well, this weekend out and about in London, I made a new friend who, for the first time since my pre-teens, caused me to question the pursuit of my girlhood dream. Just a summary on my new pal: he dropped out of high school and started an internet advertising agency several years ago. At only 23 years old, he’s worth over a million. And he works 25 hours a week.

I know what you’re thinking. Yes, it was all true. And apparently, these people really do exist. Those people who have everything… while they’re young.

Of course, my career is a big part of who I am, and something that eventually comes up in conversation (it is my reason for being in London). When this person was curious about post-college debt, and unpaid internships, and how I intend to survive (when I finally get a job) on 20,000 a year, well, I didn’t have answers. I could only respond by smiling and saying something like, “Where there’s a will, there’s a way.” After all, it’s the only answer I could give.

“Would you ever consider doing something like I did? You’re really smart, and I’m sure you could find a better way to support yourself. Don’t go into magazines, there’s no money in it, and you’ll work yourself too hard while you’re too young”

The conversation haunted me all day. What if I could do something else with my life? What if I could be a 20-something millionaire if I just gave up on my dream now? What did I know when I was 13 anyway, except that my monthly CG was the highlight of my month?

But then, I thought, that’s exactly why I shouldn’t give up on my magazine dream. Because, why not be part of putting out a magazine every month, if it’s something that I’ve been this passionate about for such a long time? I can’t think of anything else I would prefer as a career. Yea, it would be nice to have it all, but I’ll have everything I need: good friends, an exciting city around me and a job that I love. At least, those are all things I see within reach by the time I’m 23.
And who knows about all the rest.
After all, where there’s a will, there’s a way.

--Ed’s Intern #4

2 comments:

gigigirls said...

Hey,

I love how you are so career focused! I am too! I am a student and I recently created a website called InternshipRatings.com. It is a resource for students to rate their internships. It features over 200 ratings from all industries across the United States. You should check it out and rate! Your ratings can even be anonymous.

Thanks!

G. Lee said...

I cannot tell you how many conversations I have had that went exactly that way. I always walk away feeling a little depressed, and it doesn't help that advertising and circulation is falling at magazines right now. I've even had some friends who faced layoffs only weeks after getting hired. Somehow I always come to the same conclusion, though. I'm meant to be in the publishing world, no matter what it pays.