Sunday, June 29, 2008

College friendships and serious connections

I’m happy to say that last week’s task of booking interviews with an amazing list of bands/artists ended well. I was able to get eight (out of 10) scheduled, within only five days! It was a satisfying end to several late evenings spent tracking down music publicists.

But I will confess, I couldn’t have done it all on my own. I must duly thank the fantastic concept of college social networking for the week’s success.

I’ve said several times before that I worked as an editor at my college newspaper. Well, the music editor for the paper graduated in the spring and landed a job at a large record label in New York. As you might have guessed, there were artists I had to contact who were signed to the label she works for.

I told her about my task during a lunch break Facebook chat, and asked if she knew the best ways to contact them. She helped me track down some of those hard-to-reach A-list names, and talked up the magazine to the label’s Director of Publicity, so they would agree to the feature!

Only months ago, we were interviewing student bands for the college paper and going to keg parties. Now, here we are, making things happen in the real media world.

So remember Edsters, it’s never too early to start networking.
Those carefree college friends might get you a pat-on-the-back from an impressed editor someday.

--Ed's Intern #4

No comments: