Thursday, June 19, 2008

Intern saves the day! (well, kind of...)

Royal Mail, Fed-Ex or UPS can get a package to its destination overnight at best.
When urgent measures call, Super-Intern with her sweaty blouse, bulging tote-bag and trusty travel card will get the job done in under an hour and a half.
I was in the office enjoying a yogurt at my desk, carrying on with assigned research when I received a call from my editor who was out of the office.
There was a complication with a feature in our upcoming issue (at this point it’s about 4.5 weeks before deadline). “We’re dropping it and doing an alternative,” he said. I could tell he was in a hurry. “I can’t really explain but I need you to take the latest copy of the magazine to this gallery today. They close at five, but as soon as possible.”
I looked at my watch. It was about 12:15. I had a few hours. But wait—I still had a list of other things I had to do to stay on schedule for tomorrow!
I grabbed a mag, a label, an envelope, wrote the address, Google-mapped the place, and was out the door.
12:21 Get to the tube station. Catch the Central line to the East side.
12:36 Change tubes to the Northern line.
12:42 Arrive at the stop nearest the gallery.
When I stepped out of the underground station, I had no idea where I was. Frustrated that I had merely glanced and Google-maps without printing anything, I decided the best thing to do was ask for directions.
I walked up to a newspaper stand. The clerk, sensing my urgency, was more than happy to help. “Go three blocks this way. Turn right. When you get to the park, make your first left.”
That was all I needed to know. I thanked him as I dashed out the door, and sprinted in the direction he explained. Things were going smoothly. Until…
Walking past the park, I looked down to find a caterpillar crawling up my arm. There was a brief freak-out. I smacked at my arm while I flailed it about. That must have done it because the fuzzy little crawler was gone after that. Several on-lookers were staring at me like I was mental, but I had no time to apologize. I was on intern on a mission.
When I arrived at the street, finding the address was easy. I walked inside, the air-conditioning felt amazing. I stalled for a few seconds to take a breath, pulled the package out of my bag, and approached the reception desk poised and with a smile.
“Hello! I’m from _____ Magazine, and I just stopped to leave this for _____.”
“Brilliant!” she smiled. “She’s been waiting for this. I’ll see that she gets it.”
Mission accomplished. Though it was 12:55 and I still had to get back to the office quickly to finish up the workday. Knowing now where I was, I navigated my way back to the tube.
One hour and 20 minutes after I had left, I found myself at the desk again, this time sipping on a cup of iced water.
My phone buzzed.
Text from my editor: “_____ called. She got the mag. Great work.”
Well, I can’t say I felt like I deserved a Pulitzer; after all, I had only delivered a magazine.
But a little part of me, if only my feet that had hustled across town like they were on fire, felt successful.

--Ed's Intern #4

No comments: