Monday, June 9, 2008

The dilemma of being oh-so-bored

So today was one of those really slow days at the office. Aside from a few little mini assignments my editors gave me, like to research for an upcoming travel story and organize some press releases, the majority of the day I felt very useless. I’ve been working here for about 3 weeks, and I find that there’s actually a lot of these slower days. Sometimes, I'll just be sitting at my desk, waiting to be assigned something—anything!—to do. Even if it’s just updating someone’s rolodex or making phone calls, hey, I’d be glad to do it!

Thanks to all my downtime, I've already read every issue of the magazine I'm interning for from the past 3 or so years, cover to cover, over and over again. I’ve also come up with some possible ideas to pitch to the editors. I’ve also used my downtime to memorize every employee’s phone extension (I’m not kidding), color-code my files and organize my desk (I’m kind of a neat freak). And of course, by this point I’ve exhausted my options for web browsing—I mean, there's only so many times a girl could check her e-mail (or, um, Facebook) in a day.

What I find to be the biggest dilemma in this situation is where to draw the line between taking initiative, and being annoying. Today, I asked my bosses when I first came in if there's anything they had for me to do. They’ll sporadically come to me with little assignments here and there throughout the day, and I’ll check in every so often with them, too. But I feel like by me going over to my bosses a couple times a day to ask how I can help them out is just annoying. I mean, of course I want to show them I’m ready to work and eager to help, but sometimes, so I hear, it’s not always so easy for the editors to find work for their interns. And the way I look at it is, my bosses know where to find me and they know I'd be glad to take on anything they ask me to do, right?

What do you guys think? Is it better to take the initiative or do you prefer to sit back and let most of the assignments come to you? Better yet, what do you do in your downtime? I’m sure all of us are dying for some suggestions.

In the meantime, I’m off to check my e-mail—for what’s easily the 20th time today.


Bored,
Ed Intern #1

5 comments:

Jessica Chu said...

I think it's good to make your first impression to be that you're willing to do any task (big or small). So I mean, it's good that you've asked if they needed help and stuff, but from what I think, some of the tasks the editors just don't want to wast their time explaining to you about how to do it, when they can do it in like 10 minutes, you know?

But, I'm sure you're doing a great job. Just keep on keeping busy and show that you've got a hard work ethic.

ps: I like how you memorized the extensions of everyone. You should also memorize everyone's names and spellings and what their position is and all.

What department are you working in?

Unknown said...

I had exactly this problem at my first internship, being super-organized and a fast worker. My boss appreciated the initiative, though, and as soon as she saw that I was a capable worker and writer, gave me lots of fantastic projects that helped me later on. My boss now loves the initiative, too.

Now, these are smaller publications, association and trade. So it may be different where you're at. But if you're like me, asking your boss for something to do will end better than being bored!

Michelle Horton said...

From your first post it seems like you have a beauty internship (tons of free beauty products?) and I just finished a fabulous beauty internship at a leading national women's magazine. And from my experience, it's been to find something to do than to just sit there bored and waiting. Organize the closet, create new categories (seeing tons of new body mists? after-sun cooling gels?), straighten up the office supplies, clean up a bit. They'll definitely appreciate it. You can also search the internet for news and studies, and keep the rest of the department updated on trends and cool new statistics. This is more productive than reading the same articles over and over. By keeping up-to-date on your department's industry (beauty? fashion? health?) you'll have a better chance to pitch ideas.

Also, go up to your editors and ask "is there anything you need help with?" and if they say not right now, ask them if you can go to another department and volunteer your time (after you've organized and done your own department work). This is a great way to see what is going on over in in other areas that you haven't experienced. Even if it's just making photo-copies, everyone appreciates the extra hands. This will give you a chance to meet more people (networking!) too.

All in all, I've found that if you can show initiative, rather than just sitting in the closet texting and yawning, they'll be more apt to give you more responsibility. Good luck and I hope it gets more fun for you!! It seriously was the best internship I ever had. Now I'm off job hunting...

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Hi bored. Meet busy. I actually have the opposite issue to yours. I'm always swamped with lots to do. But while it's great to be busy, you actually have an awesome opportunity to shine with your situation. These are some things I'd do more of if I had the extra time:

-Think about the different sections of the magazine (easy because you memorized 'em!) and everything you know people are working on. How could you help them? Send in those (good) pitches and keep them coming. And how about giving fellow staffers a contact that would be useful with the piece they are working on? Or maybe a related article? Act like you stumbled upon it, remembered they were working on something related and thought they might be able to use it. Of course, you don't want to be too annoying, but if you give a higher-up something truly helpful, she (or he?!) will be thankful and won't forget it! You'll become the handy go-to girl. And one day she might give you something g-r-e-a-t to work on.

-Observe! Ok, well try not to look like a stalker or anything, but see what staffers are doing and how they're doing it. If you understand what needs to be done and how to do it, your bosses won't have to explain as much to you. You'll be able to show them that you 'get it' - quick. They'll be more likely to give you those tasks that might take them ten minutes to do because they know it won't take them more than a minute to request that YOU do it.

-Are there any communal areas in the office that could use some organizing or cleaning up? One renowned (I was going to say special, but that might lead to confusion) ed told me he really appreciates it when interns do that.