Monday, June 30, 2008

So sincerest apologies about the lack of posting. With my roommate leaving this past week, I didn't realize we had a utilities bill due, oh, June 15th. So last week, without any warning (since I'm an idiot and don't check my mail), they shut off my internet. I'm a little scared to attempt blogging at work. I don't want to seem like I'm "bored".

So now I sit at my friends apartment using his internet to reflect upon my past week.

I feel like I'm a VERY eager intern. I love to do the "menial" tasks that come with an internship. I really do. I'm assigned a mentor, or boss, that is supposed to give me both, if not all, of my tasks. Well ... I think because I'm the only intern in my area I feel that I'm not only assigned to my mentor but also the other 15 people within my bosses domain. It gets so very demanding with a thousand job requests coming my way. It is severely stressful but I came to realize that it TRULY is making me a much "stronger" intern.

I think for we interns, it's very important to respect every task we receive. I'll be the first to admit that fetching Starbucks for your boss without a little extra cash for yourself is not fun. Neither is a hand full of papercuts because you've trimmed over 300 invites for a BIG party... which you're definitely not invited to. Nor is realizing you've been working on a project that just got cut from the magazine. But you know what? All of those things make us a better and more well-rounded intern, which means a greater chance of getting hired later on. Even if you spend 30 hours "wasted" on a project that never makes it to press, if you do it with a smile it will get you so much farther. It will also make your tasks overall much easier to take.

This may seem like a fairly obvious piece of information but when you're in that situation, you can easily forget how far a frown goes. So this week, vow to do everything (no matter how small or insignificant) with a big smile. Just wait and see how much easier your week gets!

Have a good one!!

No comments: