Monday, June 30, 2008

A Jersey intern's worst nightmare: the commute to NYC

Anybody who’s ever had to commute into Manhattan during rush hour can tell you—it sucks. But when you’re commuting as an unpaid intern and the money for the bus tickets and Metrocards are coming out of your own pocket, that makes the commute that much more unbearable.

Ok, maybe I’m blowing this whole thing out of proportion. One the one hand, I’m lucky that I have the luxury of living in my parents’ home—there’s nothing like eating a great home-cooked meal and curling up into your own bed after a tiring day on the job. And of course, I don’t have to worry about where I’ll get the money for my next rent check or my next meal.

But a commute like the one I do 3 times a week can really tire a girl out. First, I need to take the bus from my hometown in Jersey into Port Authority. Granted, I pop in my iPod headphones and take a cat nap in the Lincoln Tunnel, but the almost-one-hour ride is anything but relaxing. Next, I hop on the blue subway line, which is, to my luck, always filled to capacity with sweaty old men, whining toddlers, and uptight business women. I then get out at a stop that’s a few blocks away from my office and walk 5 blocks and an avenue to my building. Total time of morning commute=almost 2 hours.

Don’t get me wrong. I feel for all you interns who are dorming in the city and struggling to make ends meet. I’m sure eating Ramen noodles for dinner and skimping out on Starbucks(or, um, after-work cocktails) a few times a week to save an extra penny is no fun feat. But I’d literally kill for the extra hour of sleep you get and that extra ten bucks you save for not having to pay for bus tickets. Really, I'm so jealous.

But, fellow edsters, I really can’t complain. I’m lucky enough to be interning at a large NYC publishing house, at a magazine that I love. And I’m actually really thankful that I live in the New York area, so my dream job is literally just a quick bus and subway ride away. So yeah, it's always fun to complain(and vent) once in a while but, come to think of it, the pros of my NYC internship are definitely outweighing the cons.

Anyway, I’ve gotta go eat dinner. Tonight, my mom's making lasagna.

--Ed’s Intern #1

1 comment:

Jessica Chu said...

As a fellow intern who's commuting to NYC from NJ too, I completely agree. I'm kind of wishing I rented an apartment just because it would be a fun summer experience. But, I def would be starving without my mother's cooking! hehe