Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Every intern's worst nightmare

This unpaid intern recently came face to face with a most severe form of torture: having to transcribe an interview.

(Cue the horror movie music)

Last week I was fortunate enough to tag along on an interview with one of my mag's Above the Lines. I have to say, going to that interview has been the highlight of my internship thus far. Not only did I get to sit in on a seasoned journalist's interview, but the interview actually took place at one of Atlanta's most chic restaurants. It was my first "out of the office" task and, I have to say, it was awesome. I felt like a professional journalist as I sat there with a digital recorder, loving every minute of it.

But I had no idea of the sheer torture that was soon to follow. At the end of the day… I was asked to transcribe the hour-long interview…

(Gasp)

Okay, sorry, I'll cut the dramatics. Transcribing an interview really isn't that bad, honest! The only annoying thing about it is that it literally takes FOREVER. When I was asked to transcribe the interview, I figured it would take me an hour and a half tops. However, it took me upwards of seven hours to complete the task.

The thing about transcribing is that you, of course, have to write everything word for word, which can prove challenging when you can barely understand a word that was said. The interviewees from the day's interview, though each highly intelligent and very interesting, spoke very quickly and in very thick Southern accents that did not necessarily translate well onto the digital recorder. I constantly had to rewind and pause, rewind and pause, rewind and pause, as well as ask others around me for help as I tried to figure out what these people had said. In some circumstances, solitary words took me upwards of ten minutes to decipher.

Even though the whole transcription process was extremely drawn-out and boring, I'm actually glad I had to do it. Before completing this task, I had always scoffed at those Q&As featured in magazines. Honestly, I thought that Q&As were just the lazy form of journalism, that they took minutes to throw together. Now that I have actually gone through the transcription process, I have a newfound appreciation for them. From now on I will recognize that behind the seemingly effortless demeanor of a Q&A lies an intern—just like me—diligently typing it all out, word for word for (rewind, pause) word.

-Ed's Intern #3

4 comments:

Molly F said...

Hello Transcription Goddess!

At least you're not making the company coffee!

Haha...I feel your pain, but there are some ways to make the job less tedious. It actually gets a lot easier once you figure out a system that works. Who knows, maybe you'll end up liking it SO much that you'll drop mags and work as a court reporter!

I've found that the best way to transcribe is to first, get a really good tape player and good headphones. That can cut down on number of times you have to listen. Ask around the office for different players and headphones until you find the best one.

As far as typing goes, transcribing is really much easier if you listen first to a big chunk, rewind it, play it back, and start typing anything you hear. Don't worry about fixing mistakes like spelling errors or missed words (or even entire sentences). Your fingers will be prepared to type a long word, a rarely used word, or a strange sentence construction if you know it is coming.

Type out the whole interview like this, and then go back and fix all the mistakes. Then, listen to it once more before turning it in.

Happy transcribing! (If possible...)

Emily said...

Yea, it sure is something crazy - what it takes to produce those Q-and-As! On first experience, I think we're all shocked by how
l-o-o-n-g it *actually* takes to transcribe. Gotta get right on it. And that whole rewind and pause ordeal - inevitable, ugh.

But Molly is so dead on about going through all or large portions of the interview while typing everything that you can - then going through a few more times to fix holes, grammar and spelling until everything's there and correct. It's beyond relieving to listen to the interview that final time and hardly have to touch the keyboard 'cause everything's to a T, otherwise known as T-ranscription perfection.

The neatest thing about transcribing for me is getting an unedited glimpse into the person being interviewed.... well, if it's someone noteworthy or famous at least. Even though you're not the one interviewing the person, you feel like you are. By the third and fourth review, it's practically your conversation. Transcribing can be interesting (depending on the interviewee and the length of the interview), but I'm sure glad that I don't do very much of it 'cause it definitely can get old real fast!

Just had a semi-random revisit with my teen years. It's MK&A's b-day today. :) Now that's one interview I'd die to transcribe!

Emily said...

...I'd also love to transcribe an interview with Hilary Duff, JoJo or Gavin Degraw (especially if he sang his responses). Actually, it'd be far more awesome to meet them and interview them in person. But that's just a tad less likely. Anyway, I'm curious - who would you love to transcribe?

M.C. said...

Sarah Jessica Parker. Maybe it seems cliche, but I honestly love listening to her in interviews. I watched the long video interview she did on The New York Times website before the Sex and the City premiere. She was so articulate and honest. I almost transcribed it from MSword just for fun. Ok, not really... but she's definitely my top pick