Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Parents, unpaid internships and money troubles, oh my!

Last night I received the most dreaded of phone calls. I remember the moment well. I was sitting in my room, watching BBC’s “Extras” and having a laugh, just living the lazy life, when all of the sudden, out of the blue, my beloved cell phone rang.

It was my mother. Ready to give me a lecture about money. Or rather, my lack of money.

You see, my parents, I suppose, are not the kind of people who are very familiar with the concept of unpaid internships. When I told them the fantastic news—that I had accepted an internship in Atlanta—they were so happy for me! Within the HOUR I received e-mails from grandmothers, aunts and family friends. It was one of those noteworthy moments that surely would have been included in the family newsletter… if we were the Cleavers.

My mother was thrilled because, not only was her daughter going to be doing something that would give her bragging rights, but I would finally have a paying job! Or so she thought.

I spent much of the past school year working as an editor for my school paper. The experience was great, but the pay was little and I had to depend on my parents financially. This, of course, never thrilled them. They always thought that children (or, in my case, 21-year-olds) need to work for their money.

They certainly weren’t thrilled when they found out my internship was unpaid. Nor were they thrilled when, for some reason, I just couldn’t find a part-time job. Nor were they thrilled when they received a well-worded and butt-kissing e-mail from me yesterday, in which I asked for more money.

But today I got another phone call. Finally, somebody gave me a job!

Don’t be too excited for me, though, Edsters. It’s only a short-term gig as a promoter for a new movie. I’ll be shamelessly passing out flyers and giving away free movie posters, beach balls and other trinkets. It’s certainly not the most glamorous or dignified job, but hey, it’s a job all the same, and I’m really glad to have it. Sometimes I think of how unfair it is that my parents have to sit there and pay for me to live in a big city following my dream, when I could easily be at home working and making money. Now, I’ll be able to contribute, even if it’s just a small amount.

So, here you go, Ma and Pa! With each flyer I hand out, I’ll be giving away a piece of my dignity… for you.

--Ed’s Intern #3

1 comment:

Charli_ATLFashionista said...

Do you mind telling me where you intern at in Atlanta? I just graduated from college here in Atlanta, and I've had some internships here so I was just wondering. Thanks in advance!