Saturday, June 14, 2008

Intern competition?

When I began my amazing internship four weeks ago, I was the sole intern in the place. Even though everyone was giving me a lot of work, I loved being the only one. It was my domain. I was The Intern.

However, a couple of weeks ago, one of the editors told me that they had "hired" a second intern. The editor had told me about all of the second intern's past accomplishments—from local internships to gigs with high-end national magazines, this one had done it all. FYI, this only my FIRST internship. So, being the dramatic girl I am, I figured that it was about to get all "The Devil Wears Prada" up in this grill.

I envisioned our first meeting. I figured she would be one of those girls who acted perfect and sweet around the boss, then turned she-devil when it was just the two of us. I saw her sabotaging my assignments, taking credit for things I did and constantly berating me for my lack of experience. In my mind, she also had the British accent and red hair of the "Emily" character in the aforementioned flick.

But I was wrong. So, so, so wrong.

On her first day, I walked into the office with my head held high, when I saw this perfectly normal, sweet-looking girl. She wasn't British. No red hair, no scowl, no mean demeanor, no fake perfection. We talked throughout the day and got to know each other, and it was great. She is just a really laid back person I could totally see grabbing a cocktail with. It such a relief to know that she was cool.

I'm supremely lucky in this regard. I was ready to wear my armor and fight her to the death (metaphorically speaking), but apparently I was just paranoid. I'm really glad she's at the mag with me. Not only could I totally use someone to help alleviate some of the workload, but it'll be nice to have a fellow intern to hang out with at work.

--Ed's Intern #3

No comments: