Thursday, June 19, 2008

Diva editors: They do exist!

I must say, I’ve been pretty lucky when it comes to my bosses. I’ve never worked for or even met a diva-type editor at any of my past magazine jobs.

But at my internship the other day, I had my very first encounter with one. She’s the executive editor at the magazine at which I’m working—of course, she’s way at the top of the masthead. Granted, we’re not on a first name basis with each other and we’ve never been formally introduced. But I’ve already been interning at the magazine for about a month or so, so there’s no doubt in my mind that she knows who I am. I mean, I’m in the office 3 times a week. That at least warrants a “hello” or a head-nod when I see her around the office, right?

Apparently not. I kid you not when I say that this woman doesn’t even acknowledge my existence. Whether I see her in the cafeteria, around the cubicles, or even in the ladies’room, it’s always as if she has no idea who I am. Yes, I’m aware that I’m just an intern and you’re an above-the-line hot shot, but does that really mean you have to be so rude? Sheesh.

Let me explain. While going into my building the other day, I caught this editor walking in a few steps ahead of me. An easily intimidated person by nature, I was planning on walking just a bit slower so as not to catch up to her— I knew that taking the elevator up to the 4th floor would be especially awkward if she and I were doing the trip together. But in an attempt to get over my fear of talking to big-time editors (it’s actually sort of a disease…but I’ll save that for another time), I decided to just go for it. A 30-second awkward silence can’t really be that bad.

Well, it turns out the editor saved me the worry. As she saw me walking towards the elevator, she sneered at me briefly and opted for the stairs. Yes, fellow Edsters, I was just as shocked as you are.

Looks like I won’t be overcoming my fear of talking to big-time higher ups anytime soon. Have any of you had any similar encounters? I’d love to know that I’m not the only one….

Until next week,
Ed’s Intern #1

No comments: