Sunday, June 8, 2008

Greetings from London from Intern #4

There are about a million reasons why I shouldn't be in London right now. Well, several thousand at least.

I’m funding my own expenses, part-time jobs are scarce, and the value of my motherland dollar is worth about 47 pence. How far will 47 pence go in the most expensive city in the world?
To put it in perspective: a tall, non-fat latte from Starbucks at 2.70 GBP turns into about $5.70 after the exchange rate. A latte in London costs nearly as much as brunch in Manhattan.

Trust me, you don’t want to know what I’m paying for rent.

One benefit about interning in the states is the luxury of work, but it’s difficult when you’re not a citizen. Cash-in-hand work isn’t exactly a high-commodity as I’ve found so far. I've been here
almost three weeks, sent out over twenty CVs to restaurants, pubs, bars and have yet to find a job.

So why am spending my summer draining my savings account in the City of the Queen?

There’s only one reason. I was given the opportunity to work for a magazine; or, in other words, the study-abroad of my dreams.

I spent the past year in college sacrificing my social life as the chief features editor of my weekly college newspaper, and the early months of 2008 applying for internships like it was a part-time job! After I received a disappointing rejection letter from the New York internship I hoped for, I was sure my summer would be spent taking courses, and interning at a local newspaper.

Nearly a month before school ended, I received an e-mail from the editor of a young, Art and Fashion magazine based in London, offering an editorial internship.

Despite the fact that I had never even visited the city, had no idea where I would live, was aware of the pitiful value of the US dollar, and knew I wouldn’t be paid, I was certain that I was going. Given the modest balance of my savings account, it would be a challenge. But the experience I would get—from living independently in a foreign country as well as working for a magazine—I deemed priceless.

So far it has truly been an adventure. I find myself lost in the city almost weekly when I’m sent out on errands, but I’m getting the hang of it. I’m making new friends, still searching for jobs, learning the trades of cheap, healthy eating, and trying not to avoid the British social scene merely because I’m poor!

Stay tuned, Edsters. I’ll be here to tell you all about it, every Thursday and Sunday! Until then, I’m off! London is calling!

-Intern #4

No comments: