Friday, June 13, 2008

Intern #4 is busy, busy, busy

I’ve had my fair share of work to do this week. My editor has given me the task of researching art-related news stories to feature in next month’s issue, and I get to pitch them to him later this week. I basically have to go on a web excursion for several days to track down interesting exhibitions/ book releases/ major festivals, etc. that we haven’t received press releases from. Since the mag is distributed internationally, the events needed to be from all over the world.

After three full days touring the globe via art blogs and websites, I finally reached my quota. Amsterdam, Prague, the Netherlands, Milan, Vienna, and Oklahoma were among the list of locations where potential stories had been found. I like to think of it as a virtual adventure around the world in 24 hours (collectively). And to think, two-hundred years ago it took 80 days!

While one of the perks of internet research is its ability to expose interns to a plethora of different cultures without getting up from their seat, the downside is, well, never getting up from your seat. It is never very healthy to stay sedentary for hours on end. If you find yourself glued to the desktop monitor, try to break away at some point in the day, at least every few hours. Get up to get a drink of water, scan something, or, as the Brits say, visit the loo!

I’ve gotten into a mid-day lunch ritual lately to get up and move about. And, I’m also discovering tricks to cheap weekday dining. Lunch is surprisingly affordable in the area, many restaurants have American-budget-friendly meal deals; but even still, I can’t afford to eat out every day on my salary (read: unpaid).

Remember my first post about 47 pence not going very far? Turns out, a bag of carrots at the market only costs 41 pence. To me, they’re practically golden. They’re organic, affordable, and delicious! My lunch ritual lately is a small yogurt, a sandwich (usually PB) and snacking on carrots during the day to stay energized. (Trust me, it’s more healthy than the ‘I don’t eat, and when I’m about to pass out I eat a cube of cheese’ bit we’re all familiar with).

No luck of paid work, as of yet. Although, this past week I’ve been spending so much time at my internship that I put my search on hold. Last weekend I tried doing nightclub promotions. They promised good pay in cash and didn’t require a working visa. I would earn commission on people I recruited from the street to come to the venue. Sounds easy, right? Not really. People can get pretty hostile, sometimes downright mean, when you solicit them on the street with a flyer. On top of that, the pay was awful, and at the end of the night I barely made enough to cover the transportation to get there.

The search will continue, eventually. I’m definitely the kind of gal who prefers to gaze into a computer screen for hours, send out courtesy e-mails, and make inquisitive phone calls. So, while this busy streak continues, I’ll stick to my cheap carrots and PB sandwiches. mmm…

Until next time,

Intern #4

2 comments:

Emily said...

It's crazy how much the Web and e-mail have increased our productivity over the years (as long as we don't let ourselves get sidetracked by neat things we stumble upon). But, oh yes, sitting at the computer does a number. I'm pretty sure I've stiffened by body, overloaded my eyes and gained a few pounds as a journalism student.

Recently one of my bosses felt bad about asking me to copy and circulate a bunch of things in a row. No, by all means, get me moving! And lunch with my fellow interns - great recharge for the eyes and mind... sharing stories, laughing hysterically... networking :). I come back to my desk completely refreshed for computer bonding.

Life in NYC is definitely cheaper than life in London, but we're still with ya on budgeting. I've been stretching my lunches over two days! Not as tasty, but saves the dough. It's a necessary trade off... well you know.

M.C. said...

I've started taking spinning classes in the mornings before work. It's intense, but I feel so much better after hours of sitting at a desk!