Sunday, June 22, 2008

Working in a bar, experience for my magazine career?

After several painful weeks of scamming Craigslist, Gumtree, and other classified sources for part-time work, I finally found a job!

So from 10-6 on the weekdays I’m buzzing around at the mag office, and from 7-1:30 Thursday through Saturday, I’m serving appetizers, mixing cocktails, and clearing tables at a cute and quirky Swedish bar.

Sitting here writing this is probably the first time (aside from sleeping) that I’ve stopped moving since Thursday morning! The days I work both, there’s enough time between shifts to catch the bus home, change, grab a granola bar, and catch the bus again.

It’s exhausting but so far, so good. I got paid last night for the first time in over a month and it felt amazing! I have late credit card bills to pay, rent coming up, and it’ll be nice to treat myself to something new to wear to work. After all, one suitcase full of clothes can only get a girl so far.

The bar is also a fun, social atmosphere. Sometimes it doesn’t feel like a job.(I mean, making cocktails! Hello, fun!) The people are nice and I don’t mind the work, which is the same way I feel about my internship.

I was chatting with one of our photo editors about my new job, and found out that she actually works several jobs as well. She freelances at a national newspaper based in London, and also DJs at a club on weekends.
I was really surprised. I thought once you had a magazine editorial job you were set, but I guess even those people with dream jobs like to stay busy. Look at Chandra and all the Ed 2010 staffers, they have amazing jobs and still put so much time into working on Ed.

So editors, I’m curious to hear what you have to say about second jobs. Do a lot of editors have them? Is it okay to branch out to other things? Will it keep you from climbing the editorial ladder?

From an intern’s position, I see the new job helping me in my future magazine career. I'm definitely getting better at time-management and multi-tasking because of it, and we all know those are the rum and mint in the mojito of the Mag world.

--Ed's Intern #4

1 comment:

Carla Jean said...

I'm an associate editor at a city magazine, and that's definitely my only job. I've freelanced a bit in the past, as have some of my coworkers. And our art director is a painter, so she also has some art transactions from time to time. One of my goals is to become an adjunct professor.

So, second jobs aren't the norm at my publication, but as long as the extra work doesn't interfere with your primary job I don't see that it'd be a problem. (I can see how dividing your time could limit your focus, though. It all depends on you!)