Thursday, June 26, 2008

Positive feedback=1 happy intern

I’ll let you in on a little secret—I’m celebrity obsessed. I’d rather read about Brangelina’s twins than Barack Obama winning the Democratic(or is it Republican?) nomination. Sad, but true.

So you can imagine my delight when my editor at the website I’m interning for gave me my dream assignment; to find pictures of 20 celebrities wearing strange or ugly outfits and write catchy, witty blurbs about each. I love celebrities. I love fashion. Heck, I’m even a little witty. This assignment was my calling. I really wanted to do this right.

For the entire day, my fellow intern and I scoured the web for pictures of celebrities having those “what were they thinking? fashion moments. I’d compiled my list of 20. I’d done some background research on the celebrities I wasn’t too familiar with. I’d spent hours writing and rewriting my 3 sentence blurbs so they were catchy, funny, and to the point, as my editor had wanted.

5:00 rolls around and I’m putting the final touches on my piece. I was a little iffy about some of my headlines (did I really just write Geri Halliwell: Shlumpy Spice as a headline? Yikes), and I wasn’t positive that my blurbs were quite as clever as I’d wanted them to be. But, what the heck. I emailed the Word doc in an attachment to my editor and waited for her response. This was the moment of truth.

By a quarter to six, my editor had read the piece and responded with her comments. “This is amazing!”, the email opened with. “I’m so impressed you did this so fast and I think you’re a fab writer. Will do a few minor edits and we’ll build it onto the site next week.”

I breathed a sign of relief. While this wasn’t my first writing assignment I’ve had at my internship, it was the one that I was the most passionate about. And to get back some amazing feedback from a nitpicky editor was, of course, extremely gratifying.

See ya next week! In the meantime, I’d love to hear your stories about the great jobs you’re doing at your own internships.
--Ed's Intern #1

No comments: