Friday, June 13, 2008

The Thrill of a Byline

You know that tingling feeling you get when you see your name in print for the first time? Ok, so maybe I’ve been lucky enough to get quite a few bylines thanks to my school paper and some minor on-the-side freelancing. But getting a byline at a real publication or website is completely different than seeing your name atop an article that only your school population is going to read.

Yes, ladies and gents, today the very first article that I’ve written since I started my internship at the website is up and running. The assignment was to search online for a bunch of different products that fit a particular category. I had to rummage the internet to find cool products, then e-mail the PR people to make sure we had the rights to the images and information, then had to build the article onto the site. I didn’t realize this whole thing was such a production!

I’m also beginning to (very slowly) get the hang of HTML. One of the reasons I took this internship in the first place is because I knew I’d get lots of hands-on web experience and learn the basics of web publishing. I went into this whole thing knowing nothing about it, but I’ve already surprisingly nailed the essentials. And believe me;if I could figure it out, you can too. It’s really not as tough as it seems.

I’m currently working on two other stories that’ll be up on the site soon—both of which are similar assignments as the first, with similar guidelines. What I love most about my internship here is that I really don’t have any rules to follow. My editor gives me assignments but gives me the freedom to write it any way I want. Having that much responsibility as an intern is definitely scary, but it really is amazing!

Plus, I wrote a quiz in my downtime the other day. Ok, maybe I should’ve pitched the idea to my editor before writing 8 four-answer multiple-choice questions, but turns out after reading it, my editor loves it and wants me to write another. So, fellow interns, don’t be afraid to pitch! Odds are your editor will be happy that you took the initiative and may even give you more opportunities to write!

Enjoy the warm NYC weather!
Ed’s Intern # 1

1 comment:

Emily said...

Yea, isn't it crazy how much goes into every aspect of production? Edit after edit, check after check, obsessive organizing... but that's how everything comes out so flawless. I'm loving this peek (really way more than a peek) into big-time publications.

That's awesome that you're learning about Web publishing. You'd be amazed at what you can do with it. And of course, it has become such an edge when you apply to publications.

Isn't leeway amazing? I'm as surprised as you at how receptive my magazine is to intern pitches and how unrestricted it is about our blogs. You mean, it's possible to gain experience at a major name without being treated as just a measly intern?! Yep. Score!