Thursday, June 26, 2008

Viva la vida

There have been some late evenings in the office this week. I'm sitting here waiting for NY time to roll around (I have about an hour before the work day starts) and following that there are calls to make in LA (which means four hours).

The mag I'm working for has a strong base in the fashion, film, and contemporary art industries, but next month they'll be introducing music. So in preparation, my editor has given me a list of bands/artists that we will feature, and has asked me to schedule interviews and photo shoots for the next few weeks. And, let's just say, there are some BIG names on this list. Like, been-to-Madison Square Garden, back again, and again BIG.

I was shocked and flattered to be trusted with such an important task, but I knew it wouldn't be an easy one.

I started Monday. I did a quick Google search to find out each band's label, and proceeded to contact the press office for each. The press offices either transferred me to a management agency or publicist, or said they would contact them and get back to me the second they could confirm. So most of my week has been spent waiting, patiently.

And calling.
And calling back.
And calling back, again.

In the meantime, in addition to my obsessive perusing of Gawker and The New York Times, I've had time to process the reality of how I'm spending my summer.

On the messy desk next to me there's a pile of print-outs from a celebrity photo shoot, a marked-up copy of a feature on Christian Lacroix, and a black phone book filled with contacts of the biggest designers, actors, and artists working today. Whoa... I'm actually at my dream internship!

And outside, there's a bright, sunny London.
(Seriously, it hasn't rained since Saturday!)

Although I'm broke and thousands of miles away from my friends, this internship is probably the best decision I've made in my life. Even if I am just that annoying girl who's been pestering the music industry all week.

--Ed's Intern #4

No comments: