Sunday, June 8, 2008

It's Fashion Journalism, Y'all

Over the past few years, I have had my fair share of fashion-related encounters. I've interned for two big-name, high-profile women's magazines. I've even played bookings assistant. Over time, I've amassed mountains of free shwag that range from clothing to thousand-dollar handbags to make-up and jewelry. Essentially, I've been living every fashionista's dream ... the only difference is that I'm a guy. And I'm totally okay with that. I won't lie, it's been nice to get to see prototypes of the fashion world LONG before those outside of the fashion magazine world get to. There are tons of perks to working in fashion journalism but the best perk of all is that I've beat the odds to reach my dreams.

Growing up in the Deep South has had it ups and downs. You will never meet anyone more mannered or genial than Southerners. I'm proud to be a thick-accented member of southern culture. Southerners have a keen sense of community, which often distracts from other "important" life choices: like fashion. When you grow up around people who would rather groom their pot-bellied pigs rather than themselves, you'd think that fashion journalism is that last place a boy from the South would end up. But here I am. And I'm here to stay.

People told me that I wouldn't make it or that it is going to take a lot to get a boy from the South with no fashion experience a job at a major magazine. But as stubborn, independent spirit, I didn't listen to any of them. That was the best choice I have ever made. Not only did I get called back for interviews at 10 magazines that first summer, but I got offers from 8 of them! [to my reader: Don't EVER let anyone tell you that because of WHO you are, you won't make it. Show out on them and prove them wrong!]

This summer, I'll be working for an esteemed magazine publishing company. I'm excited to get a chance to work in a different field than my previous internships have included. With a focus on art and less on fashion, I'll get the chance to run in a much-different circle. I believe this change will open up a whole new set of doors for me within the magazine publishing world.

Because I'm graduating so very soon (it can't come sooner), I'm looking to create lasting connections that can help me in finding my dream job. I know its out there. I suppose I can't sit on my butt and wait for it to scream my name. This summer, I plan to wholly put myself out there in the job world. I WILL find that job that was meant for me.

I hope over the course of this summer, my readers will get an insight into the life of an intern that beat the odds. I will give readers a chance to see what the day-to-day life of an intern is like: what is the dress code?, where do interns eat?, how do we pay for anything on a petty salary? ... I know these questions are burning in your mind. Tune in for the answers SO very soon. Until then, happy hunting for your dream internships.

I'll see y'all soon,
Ed's Intern #2

No comments: