Saturday, June 28, 2008

Who needs Ben & Jerry's when you have a fab internship?

What’s an unpaid intern to do when she’s suffering from boy problems and too poor to embark on the necessary shopping spree that would inevitably cure her sorrows?

Why, she focuses even more intently on her internship, of course!

Lately I’ve been having my fair share of problems with the menfolk, which causes me plenty of angst. But luckily I’ve been able to channel the energy I’d normally spend on obsessively finishing pint after pint of Ben and Jerry’s into being the best intern I can be. Besides, my internship’s expiration date is quickly approaching (less than a month and a half to go) and I need to focus solely on that, not boys.

So lately I’ve been trying extra hard to do well in every aspect of my internship, including small details such as punctuality. I’m a punctual person by nature, typically five minutes early for everything. However, the horrific and unpredictable Atlanta traffic hasn’t allowed me to be that prompt as of late. Every morning I wake up thinking that today, just maybe, I won’t end up stuck in traffic, only to be gravely disappointed as I sit at a standstill on the highway. But with all the effort I’m not spending on boys, I’ve been able to spend time mapquesting different routes and looking at backstreets. Next week I'll hopefully be punctual once again.

I've also applied my boyless energy in other ways. This week I put a sufficient amount of time and effort into creating an organized filing system for press releases. Now when my editor needs a certain press release, it'll take her two seconds (not literally) to find it, rather than having to spend an inordinate amount of time sifting through piles upon piles of them. In addition, I've compiled a contact list of area retailers, read all the recent copies of our rival publications and helped copy-edit several features for our August issue, which literally just got sent to the printer.

Focusing solely on my internship, particularly on the most minute of details, really is the best thing for me at the moment. Why worry about anything else when I have such an amazing thing going on?

My apologies, Ben and Jerry. I really have no need for you right now.

—Ed’s Intern #3

No comments: