Friday, June 20, 2008

Eating on an Intern Salary

It comes as no surprise to say that most interns work for either college credit or nothing at all. Part of being an intern (in my book) involves the struggle of making it in the Big Job City on morsels at a time. Thankfully, the company I work for allows a $12 stipend for its interns to pay for lunches or aid in transportation costs. I won't lie, twelve dollars isn't much but it sure is better than nothing at all. I was a "nothing-at-all" intern last summer and it was rough. I suppose the plus side is that with the stresses of work, the excess walking and my ability to spend more money on clothes than food, I get into good shape. Kidding, of course. You have to eat. And when you don't have much money - that's kinda hard.

One of the things that helped me out a lot was just buying groceries. You may look silly bringing in a brown bag lunch to work but the financial benefit is much greater. New York City restaurants aren't the cheapest by any stretch of the imagination but the grocery prices always stay low-low-low. It seems obvious, right? I see the issue with this though. When your friends want to go out on the town (at a really New York-y restaurant, of course), you can end up spending upwards of $45 or $50 for your meal. That is a big blow to your wallet. To combat this, I'll eat a sandwich or muffin to quelch some of my hunger so, once I arrive at the restaurant, I order something smaller than I would have on an empty stomach.

Here are some of my favorite restaurants that won't break the piggy bank:

1. Shake Shack - (located in Madison Sq. Park off 23rd street) - Offers some amazing (trans fat-free) burgers and cheese fries made with organic cheeses. Try the Arnold Palmer, its half-lemonade, half-tea, yet wholly delicious.

2. Café Basil Bistro - (located on Third Avenue nr. 49th St) - Offers a killer (and giant) chopped salad for cheap. You can choose from the endless add-ins they have, as well.

3. Tree - (190 First Avenue) - Little French bistro that has some simple but amazing appetizers and entrées. It is a little more expensive but almost all the items are less than $20 and the service is undeniably amazing.

4. S'Mac - (at 12th St btwn 1st and 2nd Aves) - AMAZING mac and cheese joint. 'Nuff said!

No comments: